Re: radiator fan removal & replacement

I just replaced the radiater in my car. It was the origional and
over 20 years old. After having been on a Tour and seen someone else's
radiater blow the left tank off I was worrried about mine. The
radiater didn't appear to leak but after removing it from the car I
was able to see the lower tubes on the left side were leaking
slightly. Anyway to get the radiater out you must loosen the
evaporater coil for the A/C and the fans. You cannot remove the fans
or the plastic housing they are in without first removing the radiater
as it slides up in between the evap coil and the fan housing. There
are a lot of small screws and the space is tight. If you are going in
there be prepared to replace the radiater as it is a lot of work to R
& R the radiater when it goes bad. Make sure the clips are on the fan
motor shafts and the fans are tight on the shafts and the fans turn in
the correct direction i.e. pulling air through the radiater. While you
are in there also make sure that there are no leaves or crud blocking
the evap coil, get a brush and clean everywhere. Be careful to replace
ALL of the ground wire connections at the upper radiater to frame
brackets, there is one lug on the right and TWO lugs on the left.
Follow the procedure in the Workshop Manual and you will need to wire
up the evap coil and the fans temporarly while you juggle the radiater
and shroud into position. You might be able to drill a hole next to
the rear bearing in the fan motor and get a little oil into it but
that would only be a temporory fix, the motor probably needs a
bearing and besides you can't get to the front bearing without
removing the motor.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757