Re: catalytic heat shield

Yep- BTDT. To properly replace it you kind of have to remove the
converter (and the muffler). I've seen it done by just bending the
bracket down, but I like refinishing the bracket too.

Main purpose of the heat shield is to keep the heat from the
converter from cracking the epoxy on the frame in that area (or
worse). There are several vendors that sell a sheet-metal replacement
for that ASBESTOS shield, I've not tried one but they seem like a
good idea. (Not concours though.)

Dave Swingle