Re: Porsche engines in a DeLorean

This thread started as a feasability issue and has somehow wandered
from "it can or can't be done" issue into a "costs too much" issue.

While I do not ever remember a discussion in which someone wanted to
install a Porsche engine in a Delorean to save money, I would agree
that a Porsche engine would cost more to maintain than the PRV. The
reason to consider the Porsche engine swap would be to increase the
performance of the Delorean with additional HP, which it would do.
A Porsche engine would also be a logical option if considering a
Porsche transmission (such as Walt is considering), but again this is
not primarily a cost issue. Even the Northstar V8 conversion that is
available from ACE Engine Conversions does not exactly come in at a
"low cost" price, with a total conversion price of $20,000.

If the discussion is to do an engine swap to increase performance(HP),
with minimum irreversable modifications to the Delorean engine bay as
possible, then the Porsche or Northstar engines are an option. Other
similar options can include the Rover V8 (Bob Brandys) or the Delorean
AMC Eagle hybrid engine (Marty Maier and others). These two options
tow the line closer to the european and PRV heritage of the Delorean,
however, I would not refer to any of them as "low cost" options.
Duke's Chevy 4.3L V6 conversion may border on a low cost engine swap,
before you figure in all the development time spent troubleshooting
everything from electrical gremlins to transmission issues.

I personally have had mostly good experiences with Porsche drivetrains
and I do agree that some bad experiences have been expensive. I do
think that if someone wanted to keep a somewhat european heritage in
their Delorean, while increasing the performance and HP, the Porsche
drivetrain should be considered. Of course, I cannot speak to the
durability and yearly maintenance costs of this drivetrain in a "D"
until I complete my conversion and begin using it as a daily driver.
Even Matthew agrees that his 944 has been a durable daily driver.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Matthew P. Olans" <mpolans@xxxx> wrote:
> IMHO: this is a BAD idea,
> I have a 1984 944. The 2.5L inline 4 puts out 150 hp
reliably. I