Re: Replacing spark plug leads

I have found that replacing the cap and rotor is indeed easiest by
moving the mixture control unit -- however it does not need to be
removed entirely.

To get the mixture control unit out of the way to gain better access
to the cap and rotor (and the plug leads attached to the cap), do as
follows:

- Remove the Y pipe connecting the mixture control unit to the intake
manifold (one screw (or was it two) in the center attaching to the
throttle end of the mixture unit and two screws at either end
attaching to the intake manifold). This should take about 3 minutes.

- Remove the two allen headed screws attaching the mixture control
unit bracket to the top of the intake manifold. There's one on each
side. This should take about 1.5 minutes.

- Unhook the throttle linkage conecting to the throttle at the end of
the mixture unit. You unclip the little retaining clip on the socket
end of the ball/socket connection and then pop the linkage off the
throttle butterfly valve ball. This should take about 1 minute.

The mixture control unit is now loose and you can shift it around a
little and shift it forward slightly using what little slack there is
in the fuel distributor lines. With the ability to shift the mixture
control unit around a little you gain better access to the
distributor cap and sparkplug leads.

You do need new gaskets for the mating between the Y pipe and the
intake manifold. These thin paper gaskets seem to tear easily when
removing the Y pipe. The center portion of the Y pipe uses O rings
that are substantially better than the paper gaskets, but it is
generally good practice to replace these as well when servicing this
area.

Knut

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Jan van de Wouw <jvdwouw@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Since the leads to my spark plugs are allmost certainly about
> 20 years of age they are arcing through the insulation in wet
> wheather, so I decided to replace them, along with the
> distributor cap and rotor.

<snip>