Re: Oil Leak

The first place to look if it is engine oil is the oil sender for the
oil LIGHT on the left rear of the motor. The sender is notorious for
developing a leak. It can be resealed. Just remove it, clean thoughly
and reassemble with silicone sealer (sensorsafe of course!) Or you can
replace it. When it leaks it runs down onto the rail around the
crankcase and can then appear to be leaking from somewhere else. The
wire that goes to it also gets burnt so you may have to replace a
piece of it. If the trans is leaking determine if it is gear oil or
trans fluid. MAKE SURE TO CHECK THE FINAL DRIVE LEVEL! It is separate
from the trans in automatics, not like 5-speeds where the trans oil
and final drive oil are the same. You must remove the level plug on
the left side and stick your finger in to make sure the level is no
lower than 1/4 from the edge. Do not overfill and use #80-90 gear oil.
If it is trans fluid leaking you must examine the transmission
externally to try to isolate the source. A common source is the
gearshift cable but any external seal can leak. Do not overfill as
that can create leaks. Refer to G:04:02 for the proper procedure for
checking auto trans fluid level.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757