Re: DeLorean replicas

I also looked for a DMC-12 "kit car" for a couple of years and I never
found one. Since then I've upped the amount to shoot for in the ol'
savings account so I can buy the real thing. Granted I was over 16 when
I even got interested in the DeLorean, and the only time I started
saving money for the car was after college. In my humble (pronounced
with the H) opinion, there's no reason to have a kit DMC because the
real thing is so affordable. I could understand, say, turning a LeBaron
convertible into a Mercedes for kicks, or making a Porsche out of a
Volkswagen, but that's because the latter cars are so expensive anyway.
Stainless steel panels alone would cost a bundle. Considering that you
can get a reliable, though not cosmetically flawless, DMC-12 for between
$8,000 and $14,000, it remains a great buy. Then you can fix whatever
problems you find yourself (from what I have heard and seen, it's easy
for even a moderately skilled mechanic to work on), and learn about the
car in the process. Then, of course, there's the bit about buying a
legend ... but I won't get into that lest this post be snipped for
rambling. :) But as I said, my interest in cars was developed later, and
in college I became not only interested in the mechanical aspects of
automobiles but also the history of the automobile, and eventually the
DeLorean in particular. (Although I must admit I'm a huge Sunbeam Tiger
fan, mainly because of "Get Smart.")

Speaking of college, it might be a good idea to figure out what your
higher education will cost you, so you won't have to sell your DeLorean
for tuition. That is unless you're lucky and your parents pay your way,
or you're an athlete and get a free ride. ;) Selling the DeLorean for
college costs would hurt, and it's better to sell it later when you're
buying a house, or when your wife makes you sell it.

By the way, for those who are interested, I've regained some feeling in
my left foot! Pretty soon I'll be able to drive a manual transmission.
Can't wait to learn. Too bad I only own one vehicle and it's an auto. :\
Maybe I should rent a stick shift to learn...

All the best,
Farrar Hudkins
New Orleans, LA
'98 Ranger XLT "Laggy"