Re: [DML] A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boo

Re: [DML] A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boot)

Steve, I would agree with you on the fuses and in going one step further, I
suggest the fuses be replaced when they start to loose the shinny contacts.
When they start to frost up and look dull I believe they are building up a
higher resistance and start to heat up more. Normal heat and atmosphere is
what turns them frosty looking to begin with and that's when the contacts
build up the higher resistance and they melt quicker or damage the box.
The Ducellier had the light wire as well, but being a two wire system, the
sense voltage also came through the brown wire.
The Motorola was or is a one wire system and has to have the light wire
brown/yellow or NY to activate the regulator. Since the bulb was hooked in
series with the wire, If it goes out, so does the alternator.
I also have a voltage regulator I could put in the alternator that doesn't
have any voltage regulator wires at all to hook up. It's internally excited,
but if I use them, you would have no light. The gauge would still be OK. So I
don't do it because I would think most people would want to see the light. I
would
John hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/alternators.shtml