Re: [DML] Re: Mounting a DIN radio (Was: Re: Picture of DIN Bracket)

Re: [DML] Re: Mounting a DIN radio (Was: Re: Picture of DIN Bracket)

> Big advantage is that I can remove my
> radio through the slot in front and can reach the wiring for the radio
very
> easily. With Walters' option I think you have to remove the concole.

This is correct. My Alpine came with an outer sleeve that could be mounted
in the dash. Then to remove the radio you just flip pins on either side and
the radio slides out. There were two reasons why I didn't use the sleeve:
1) the cable coming from the fender mounted antenna was too short to slide
out the radio. 2) The sleeve wasn't very well designed. It was meant to be
mounted by bending metal tabs to hold onto the DIN opening. Such an install
would be good enough for a hack shop, but not for me -- too many squeaks &
rattles and nothing to support the back of the radio from falling down.
Since it was just a sleeve, there was no room to put fasteners (even rivets)
through it without obstructing the fit of the radio inside. I didn't want
to do any welding or brazing, so I just bolted directly to the radio. This
was meant to be a second mounting option anyway.

On the subject of radio mounting, has anyone thought to do anything about
the face plate for the a/c controls? While driving last night I noticed
again how much light shines through on the edges. I'm thinking that the
next time I have it out, I'll paint the edges with black paint to stop it.
Otherwise it looks cheap.

Walt Tampa, FL