Re: WAS John Delorean and Reliability...NOW saving the cars (LONG)

Re: WAS John Delorean and Reliability...NOW saving the cars (LONG)

Hi Senator and list,
I disagree that John DeLorean turned his back on his fans over the
years. As you said, he was always willing to sign copies of his book,
and was interviewed by Rob Lamrock for the DeLorean world magazine
about 10 years ago. In July 1998, I called him at his home, and we
had a great conversation. During this call, he invited me to visit
him in NJ if I was in the area. After a few more phone conversations,
we met on August 1st. He still remains one of the nicest people I
ever had the pleasure of meeting. I know other people on the list
have had similar experiences...and he never received any money for
this.

I would actually say that his fans in some cases have tuned their
backs on him. Of all people on this planet, shouldn't DeLorean owners
be the ones who know the facts about the downfall of the company and
what really happened with the drugs bust. At a DMC show in LA in
1998, I was very surpised to hear some owners swapping the old
cocaine jokes, I really think that is very unfair to John DeLorean.
There is a phrase that is sometimes used on this list and it goes
something like "say what you like about the man, but the car is cool"
or something along those lines. Well of course I disagree with this
too!! We should all stick up for John DeLorean more. Probably the
best guy for sticking up for John Z. on this list is Robert Rooney in
Las Vegas. Robert, I always agree with everyting you say, but don't
always have the time to write you an email and tell you so. Anyway,
keep it up!

On a lighter note, after about 5 years of reading this list, I am
finally buying my first DeLorean next weekend in PA. It is a
September 1981, black leather, 5 speed, 13,000 miles. Wish me luck!!!
Best wishes,
John Dore. (In Boston)
PS could any D owners in the New England area contact me off list?

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Senatorpack@xxxx wrote:
> Unfortunately, John DeLorean turned his back on his fans &
the owners
> of the DMC for over 20 years. He only came to an event (Cleveland)
when he &