fixing high throttle-- comments?

I spent good part of the day playing with my car. It was a good day. :)

Seriously, I've made a little headway on my high throttle issue, which is
good, because it seemed to be getting worse (higher). Or it just could have
been my imagination.

I spent quite a bit of time checking out the throttle microswitch to that
activates the ECU by supplying ground. I thought it was bad, but it turned
out to be bad alligator testclip for my meter. Bad 'gator, bad, bad. (I must
be feeling a little rummy, sorry).

I also disassembled the throttle hub unit (I forgot what it is called and I
already put away my books); I cleaned out 20 years of dirt and re-lubed it
up good with white lithium stuff. That may have helped some-- it certainly
couldn't hurt.

I also adjusted the stop screws that hit the micro-switch and m/s frame. My
idle is now down to about 950-1050 when running hot. That is much better,
but still too high compared to the 725-825 normal range. The bottom throttle
stop screw pretty far out; it has a little bit of threads showing on the
underside. What is the purpose of having this lower screw? Isn't the tang on
the throttle cable hub do the same thing?
Q: BTW, is the tang suppossed to ride on the stop post?
I can't seem to get mine to stop flush on the post everytime. Maybe I need
to back out both stop screws and slowly move the bottom screw in until it
meets with the tang-stop and then make the m/s screw do his job. That sounds
logical. I think I'll try that but I'd like someone to answer that question
above.