leaky side mirror

In the process of going through my passenger door, I finally figured out why
so much water gets inside my door and drips on my windshield when the door
is open. One of the extension/spacers at the top was too long preventing
the gasket from making a seal. Water would then find its way in through the
mounting holes in the door skin. The spacer that was too long had been
previously shortened. I'm wondering if this is something that was done at
the factory or if a previous owner is responsible. I had to shorten it by
another 2mm to get a good seal.

Walt Tampa, FL