Re: Angle drive removal

On 14-02-2002 wilhelm starberg wrote:

> The time has come to replace my angle drive (ad),
> but I can't find any procedures on the net,
> or in the manuals.
> Do I just loosen the speedo cable, and then unscrew the ad
> is this possible without removing the brake line?

The brakeline doesn't have to come off and removing
the caliper isn't really neccesary either...

The easiest I found is to remove the wheel,
remove the dust/drivecap.
disconnect the tie rod from the steering knuckle,
disconnect the speedocable from the AD.
Then swing the wheel as far left as possible.
You should now be able to put a large spanner onto
the nut that the AD sits in, you have to pull UP to loosen it.
When doing so, make sure you don't inadvertedly move your car
on the jack or jackstands! Be carefull!

The Nut and AD should slide out (mind the cable coming
out of the axle!) towards the front of the car now.

Now for the fun part (NOT!); removing the drive from the nut...
If you want to go for a HardCore version by PJ Grady leave it
assembled and send the unit to them. You get a core exchange
of about $80,- for the complete assy when ordering the HC-version.
If you want to replace it with an O.E.M. one and decide to install
the wheatherproofing kit, leave it together too; there's a new
nut with the wheatherproofing (turned down to accept a rubber boot).
If you absolutely HAVE to disassemble you're going to have to pry
into the hole of the nut, next to the cable to compress the lock ring
enough to slide out the AD to the other side.
I managed to do this once, but it took me over an hour
and some really strong words!

Installing the new or repaired drive is a matter of reversing the
above, with the main difference being that the drive clicks into
the nut is a snap. Torque everything to specifications and don't
forget to check if the drive cap is still good, the part is just
a couple of dollars, so replace if unsure.

Last but certainly not least;
DO NOT DRIVE YORU CAR WITH THE AD-NUT OFF!!!
This nut secures the axle into the knuckle, with it missing the
wheel can come off while driving. Not only damaging to your car,
but also VERY dangerous to you and others!

Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

PS. if you read Dutch,
I have a write up on this matter I can send you.