Re: [DML] heavy-duty window regulator fit problems

Re: [DML] heavy-duty window regulator fit problems

> regulator, please e-mail me a copy! I know of no installation directions in
> existence. My problem is that the regulator could not be made to bolt up

Check out:
http://labwww.csv.cmich.edu/luke/auto/delorean/infosheets/WindowMotor.pdf

> properly with the supplied brackets. Since I'm not the only one with this
> problem, I'm beginning to think that ALL heavy-duty window regulators are
> like this. My theory is that the heavy-duty ones were designed to fit early
> VIN cars but can not be made to bolt up the same way to later VIN cars.

I have a heavy duty regulator in the passenger door on my 82, #10270.

> Since my car came from the previous owner with one of these already
> installed, I assumed that it was an OEM regulator since it worked so poorly.
> If you already have installed heavy-duty regulators, read the following and
> tell me if you have any of the symptoms that I just corrected:

If I remember correctly, the effectiveness of the motor/regulator is
severely compromised if the 3 dog-leg mounts aren't bolted to their proper
positions. Since the mounting hardware consists of 3 separate legs, stacked
on top of each other on a mounting bolt (instead of a single, flush,
statically mounted bracket like the stock regulator) you have to be careful
how they're installed or you can 'twist' the regulator and cause all sorts
of problems with alignment and operation. Perhaps the installer simply
shoehorned it into place and bent the assembly in the process.

I'm pretty sure that I'm remembering this correctly, but is has been about
2-3 years since I installed mine. If anybody has any corrections, please
correct away!

One thing that I do remember is that if the motor is properly installed, the
regulator tube doesn't feel right when bolting the glass to it. On my car,
the regulator tube was pushed against the outer door skin and had to be
pulled away when bolting the glass to it. Nothing really lines up very well
with the new regulators; that is my main complaint about them. You can't
easily judge if it's mounted correctly simply by appearance.

You're experience with the regulator sound pretty awful. But, besides a few
cuts and scrapes, my regulator went in without any big problems and works
like a champ.

Good luck!

-Luke