[DML] Re: door strut (up or down?)

--- In dmcnews, Mike Hirko wrote:
> Check out the link that Mike Babb provided for the cover of
> the July '77 Car & Driver magazine. It clearly shows the
> struts. Want to bet that it came from the factory that way?
[snip]
> HOWEVER, the struts on my VIN 1387 are the opposite.
> Want to bet that they came from the factory that way?

If you look a little better you can see the car featured
on this cover obviously is one of the prototypes;
- the lights in the bumper are further outwards
- the mirrors seem to come from another type of car
- the profile of the doors is different
- there are no locks/latches at the front of the doors
- there is no air intake under the bumper
these are just the easy to spot differences.
So in a way you could say it didn't even come from the factory!

I guess they just popped the struts on, later discovering
they had them on wrong and correcting this in the
production cars you and I have...

Jan van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000