Re: Dealing with shops

It is not really like restaurants where they seat the celebrities and
the "beautiful people" in the front and the best seats. It is more
likely that they just don't have the parts on hand for the Delorean
(like an oil filter) and they had to have their distributer or parts
store get it for them. The other reason it might take longer than it
should is that they just don't know what they are doing and are trying
to get some info from someone to figure out what to do. This is
particularly the case when it comes to the fuel system especially if
they are not familiar with the Bosch K-Jetronic. This is another good
reason you should have a service manual and let the shop know who your
favorite supplier is. It will give the shop more confidence that they
can get what they need and without saying it to them they can ask for
help too if they can't figure it out with the manual. In dealing with
repair shops (if you can't or won't work on your car) it is best to
let them get to know you and your car by starting out on the simple
things like oil changes and such. By having them do this kind of stuff
you can decide if they are a good choice for more complicated work. If
it takes a week and they tell you don't bring the car back at least it
didn't cost too much. On the other hand many shops like a challange
once in a while and may enjoy working on it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, RJRavalli@xxxx wrote:
> Does anyone here who takes/trusts their DeLorean to a non-vendor
shop ever feel like they work intentionally *slow* on your car so they
can have fun working on it and showing it off to their other
customers? I feel like I have that problem with my mechanic. Just
one example would be having it take 2 days for an oil change.
Granted, they are a big and busy import car shop, but it just seems a
little fishy to me at times. I have seen some of their other
customers oogle my DeLorean when droping off/picking up their own cars