Re: Torsion Bar Problem

I don't know if this will help but I had a problem getting the anchor
bracket off of the RH torsion bar to adjust it. I carefully worked it
off with screwdrivers, bars, wood, and hammers (only on the ends).
After I was able to remove the bracket and torsion bar I very slowly
and carefully filed the splines on the torsion bar. (I had another
broken one to test on the bracket and the problem was the splines on
the torsion bar). After much filing and fitting the bracket would go
on and off smoothly. ONLY WORK ON THE SPLINES NEVER ANYWHERE ELSE! If
the problem is because the head of the torsion bar has expanded
because of the wrong or loose allen wrench you may not be able to do
this. Examine the inside of the allen on the end of the torsion bar
for cracks, you can also use a magniflux machine or the spray cans to
look for cracks. I do not recomend this but mention it only because of
the expense and scarcity of the torsion bars. As an aside I am
currently seeking broken torsion bars to experiment with possible
methods of repair. It may be possible to weld a broken bar back
together although I do not know how it will affect the heat treatment.
If you send me broken bars at his time I cannot say that you will
receive a repaired one or not as I don't know if it can be done.
E-mail me offlist if you want to participate in this experiment.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Christian Williams <delorean@xxxx> wrote:
> Since this is such a rare problem, I figured I'd follow up with what
> ended up doing. My problem was with the passenger side tortion bar
(which
> are still easy to find). We tried to adjust my bar, but couldn't
since the

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews