Re: [DML] Re: High Hood

In a message dated 12/12/2001 11:06:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dswingle@xxxx writes:

<< Actually the hood is quite adjustable. There are rubber stops at each
upper corner that can be screwed up and down into the body, and I
believe that the latch is also slightly adjustable.

Did you have the fenders off the car? You may have reinstalled them
missing the usual pile of shims between the fiberglass and the
fenders. I've seen cars with as much as 1 cm of spacers/washers in
between the fender and the fiberglass at the top edge. The production
tolerances on the fiberglass underbody were far from perfect. >>

Although the above information is correct, based on my experience, if the
fascia, hood, fenders and related hardware were taken off, the most common
way to adjust a "high hood" is to adjust the two hood hinges at the front of
the bonnet.
The adjustment is very straightforward, although the high beams & low
beam lights must be removed to gain proper access in order to raise the
hinges to return the hood to proper height.
Upon correcting the "gaps" on my former 1981, removal of the
aforementioned hardware was necessary, and an involved process of correct
installation was necessary. Upon completion the hood was slightly higher at
the rear. Minimal adjustment was necessary to the hinges, and after
adjustment, the hood was returned to an aesthetically pleasing appearance.

Historically speaking, The cars came out of the molds on a continuous 24
hour basis at Dunmurry. There were several molds utilized during production,
and on occasion they would need some "tweaking" in order to service and
maintain them as the molds encounter considerable pressure and wear during
the VARI process.
Mold were removed from production and serviced on a routine basis.
The fiberglass bodies can differ as much as 1/4 inch in some areas of the
car. This information was provided to me from former DMC chief engineer
Michael Loasby.
In real world manufacturing, 1/4 inch difference is a considerable amount
of movement, as body panel alignment and door openings can be greatly
effected. This could further explain the "gaps" found between the fenders and
door on some mid 1981 cars.

Seasons Greetings
Mike Pack