Re: [DML] heli-coils in rear hub carrier

Re: [DML] heli-coils in rear hub carrier

Today I just noticed that one of the bolts that hold the caliper to the rear
hub carrier had the threads damaged. Since there are two identical ones, I
couldn't tell at first which heli-coil was responsible. So I ended up using
a tap to chase the threads on both heli-coils. Barely any metal was
removed. It is quite a job getting a tap in there. After reading about how
Toby says that cut threads are not as strong as rolled threads, I figure
that a heli-coil must be even worse. In light of this, I didn't re-thread
the damaged bolt. I got another one from a junker.

I'm not asking a question with this post, really. I'm just saying that
chasing the thread on a hub carrier heli-coil was needed and has been done.
Does anyone think this is a bad thing to do?

Walt Tampa, FL

P.S. to Bill Buckner -- yes I know... tenacity! :)