[DML] Torsion Bars

[moderators note:
The bars are made to twist in one direction based on which side of the car they're designed for. That's the reason they use a different configuration for each side's retaining bracket. They were imersed in liquid nitrogen and then when they reached a specfic temperature they were given a specific number of twists in a direction dependent on which side of the car they were to be for. This lined the molocules up in a manner that allowed the exteme twisting that they do. Unique equipment was used to do this and if this equipment has been scrapped then this will become a very expensive project to replace them.]

I have never compared a RH & LH torsion bar side by side, but aren't they
pretty much identical except for the front end where they fit into the
hinges? If this is so, then couldn't a RH torsion bar be used on the left
side if a custom hinge were made to take it? This would be cheaper than
having new torsion bars custom made. Though if it worked, then it would
deplete the supply of RH torsion bars and then we would be forced to have
new ones made eventually anyway.

I have noticed that torque sticks that are used with impact wrenches are
sort of like mini-torsion bars. I suspect that torque sticks are made by a
similar process as torsion bars and have the same spring-like qualities. I
suspect that whoever can make torque sticks could also make torsion bars.
Can anyone say if this is worth checking into?

When a torsion eventually breaks with use, at what point along the bar do
they usually break? I know that scratches can create fractures, but what
I'm asking is if there are any particularly vulnerable spots? Why I ask is
because I have noticed that the bar sits very close to the rear hinge and
might possibly get scored by it. Is this a real problem or just looks that
way?

Food for thought.
Walt Tampa, FL