RE: [DML] Re: Remote Starter / Fan Delay

RE: [DML] Re: Remote Starter / Fan Delay

I have remote starting in three cars at present and traded one in on a new
one so a total of four installations. I put it in the D almost five years
ago and it has worked fine. I never give it a thought....If I have not
driven the car for a couple weeks, the battery is weaker and the first time
it takes the second try, but then starts instantlly. Otherwise it always
starts the first try. I have it programmed to TRY three times...the delay
is 20 seconds between trys and the starting period is programmed for the
least time which is 2 seconds. If it does not start then it waits the 20
seconds to try again. It is rare it goes to that cycle tho. I have two
different brands of Remote modules...in the D the DISTANCE from it is a
factor and I need to be a bit closer to the car for it to start, but I can
STILL be inside a restaurant or near the front of the supermarket....in the
other car it starts from almost any point, much farther away. Mine are
very reliable and I rarely start the car by using the key. There are
thousands of them in use or maybe millions!!

It is SO nice on our present 30F degree days to come out to a nice warm car
or in the summer to a nice cool car. I find it does not overheat in starting
it 10 minutes early but usually I do not wait that long.

Mine in the D was a quite complex installation. I am not able to "bend"
like I used to ( I am 80) so I had a mechanic do most of the work...he was
experienced in doing this as had a "moonlighting" setup where he has a
waiting list. I know circuitry so I was his "gopher" and located the
various points on the D for him to run wires. There are a tremendous number
of "fail safe" hookups....I had the full blown setup, which meant MORE
wiress than just the remote start....my system has a lock/unlock, anti theft
w/siren, remote lights on/off, panic button etc. The cost was around $500
with labor and he earned his money. The other car ( a Lincoln Continental)
already had everything but the remote start and that was a total of $250.

Also, I might add that, contrary to popular opinion, Remote Start IS
available for stick shift cars and I have seen several installations. I know
the problems to make them fail safe and they are all solved.....it is a bit
more expensive.

I get more "interesting comments" on the remote start than I do on the D
itself!!
Often someone will come into the restaurant trying to find who left their
car running. ( I had just started it from inside prior to leaving) . One
husband is going to get the full installation as a Christmas gift from his
wife. She heard mine start and no one around. I was walking across the
parking area and saw her stop and wait...she asked if I started the car by
radio control and then asked for my name and phone number so she could get
one for her husband!! Then there was the time (in the D) that I startled a
lady with an armload of groceries....she dropped them and they rolled
everywhere..apologized and helped her pick them up.....she was not mad and
got a big kick out of it.

Murray Vin: 05962 Lic: DMC-XII