[DML] Re: A DeLorean taxi?

My suggestion is to do a pizza delivery business instead. The work is much
more steady and the passengers would stay warm neatly sitting over the
engine compartment. The pizza sign would fit neatly in the center of the
T-panel. I'm sure that the car would draw a lot of attention and may even
be shown on the local news. That would be good for business, but I wouldn't
expect to get a lot of tips. People would think you are rolling in dough --
not pizza dough; I mean the green stuff.

To take the taxi idea seriously, there are laws that you probably could not
meet. Depending on the state, a vehicle used as a taxi must meet the
current safety requirements. (I don't know if this part is federal or
state.) All new vehicles meet these requirements or they would not be able
to be sold. An older vehicle may not meet these requirements, but if
already placed in service as a taxi when new then it is grandfathered in.
Chances are the DeLorean is too outdated to meet these requirements. Not to
mention that many states have laws that specify that taxis must have seats
that do not absorb liquids, i.e., be covered in tough vinyl. Then you may
be expected to rivet an extra metal license plate on the back of the
vehicle.

I would say that your best chances of success would be to do the stretch
limo like Marc suggested. While you are stretching it, maybe you could make
it a side-loading hearse. I would like to see a digitally edited photo to
make one look like a patrol car. That would be funny.

I'm surprised that the moderator let this thread start. I'm sure whoever it
was is getting flack from the others. :)

Walt Tampa, FL

[Moderator Note: Actually, I have not had a single complaint about this thread. But it seems as though it has now run its course. - Mike Substelny]