Re: [DML] Re: Low Gas Light

On the original factory's sending unit in my DeLorean, the light would come
on when there is two to three gallons left which is about the same with the
Tankzilla units.

With the Tankzilla units (I had two units, for one was a replacement) both of
them turned the warning light on when there is slightly around three gallons
left. The warning light will start to FLICKER on and off when you have 3 to
4 gallons in the tank. When the lights STAYS ON, you have 2.5 gallons left
as reserve.

Many times when the light would come on and a stays on, I would continue to
drive and put on at least 25 to 35 miles on the odometer (at times up to 38
to 40 miles and I won't push it beyond that) before I would stop to fill up
at the next gas station. I would fill my tank until the gas is up to the
opening of the neck. (Yes, I know I am not supposed to do that, but I am
driving on a long trip so the gas will get consumed within several minutes to
bring the level below the fill neck and my tank to the filler neck don't
leak.) I would then drive on, until the lights come on again and I would
fill it up again in the same manner. In doing so, I can get a very accurate
amount of gallons filled, which is 11 to 12 gallons. The DeLorean's tank
capacity is rated at 13.2 gallons, and subtracting the 11 or 12 gallons
filled (as indicated by the pump -- and there is variations which leads me to
believe the pumps are NOT all accurate... hummm???), therefore, there is 2
gallons in reserve. Remember, this is my car and "its" sending unit ...
yours may differ slightly.

FYI... The brand of gas, the octane, the highway's terrain and weather
conditions and traveling at an average speed of 60 MPH, I would get 27 up to
30 MPG with a passenger (my wife of 130 lbs) with additional luggage and
other gears of 25 to 70 lbs in weight as payload. This for me, makes the
DeLorean worth its weight over many other exotics cars I driven or owned.

Kayo Ong
Lic. 9D NY