[DML] Re: Starting Problems

We need to define "ignition problems". The symptoms you are describing
are "starting system problems". If the motor won't crank and the car
is dead you don't have ignition problems. Load test the battery. Clean
and inspect ALL of the big connections from the battery to the
alternator to the frame and to the starter. Pay particular attention
to all grounding straps and their conections to the frame. Make sure
there is no paint under the lugs and everything is clean, shiny, and
tight. If you feel the car "pulling back" when the A/C comes on or the
cooling fans start and stop the Fanzilla does eliminate that by
sequencing the cooling fans on and off. If you still have the Dusey
alternator it is recomended that you upgrade to a larger Motorola or
Delco. The "acting funny" you noticed earlier could have been caused
by the bad conection causing the voltage on the ignition system to
drop affecting the smoothness of the engine. (This is the best I can
do by "Remote Diagnostics".) Cheap insurance these days is one of
those jumper battery packs. I bought one at Costco for $55 and not
only has it saved me but when I go to car shows it is always easier to
help someone without having to "jump" from the car. The first time you
use it and save a tow it pays for itself!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "skipper landry" <sk1pper@xxxx> wrote:
> what are the recommended "fixes" for the ignition breakdown.
> mine left me stranded and had to be towed 170 miles home on
> sat night!! (i was nothappy). i noticed it acted funny earlier
> in the day, and progressively got worse. a rain front came
> through then cold dropping 25 - 30*. after sitting for a few
> hrs, i went to leave and she clicked like a starter
> problem. then i herd a *pop* and the car lost ALL electricity!

[quote trimmed by moderator]