Re: Headlight Switch Follow Up.

--- In dmcnews Robert wrote:
> Ok, My new headlight switch from DMC Houston arrived yeterday,
> so i installed it last night. So since I had a replacement, I
> cracked open the old one to see how it worked.
[snip]

Nice description; I have disected my old switch too when I replaced
it, so I know exactly what you are talking about, but I'm afraid that
people that are not familiar with the switch still won't understand.
I still have to make some pictures of my relay upgrade posted at
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/lightrelays.html
when I get around to that I'll also make a picture of the inner
workings of the switch.

> Now for comments :)
> On my switch, the the plastic on the 12V track had started to melt
> from the heat. Of all the power flowing thru it.

That's what had happened to mine too; I'll include that pic too...

> the relay upgrade is a nessisary one for this circuit.

I totally agree, especially since it isn't that hard to do.
Since I DID this modification I know tis for a fact...

> There are only two downsides to this switch"
> 1. It's a little more difficult to flash your lights
> in a hurry when you're on the highway. (i.e. to let trucks
> know it's ok to pass).

I can't see why this is a problem; if you want to flash your
lights all you have to do is pull the left stalk towards the
steering wheel. This even works with the ignition off
(and even with my other relay upgrade installed)...

> 2. When driving @ dawn, you have to go thru the entire cycle when
you want to turn you lights off as the day gets brighter.

I agree this can be annoying, but I ALLWAYS drive with my
low beams on; IMHO the clearance lights aren't bright enoug
to really be noticed in daylight.

> You can try to repair it if you like, but I would recommend
> that you buy a new one.
[snip]
> It has the nice texture, and solid clicking sound. :)

And let's not forget the undamaged symbol on the button!
It's been said befor, but I'll repeat it anyway; allways puch
the button with TWO fingers on the edge/rim, not the center!
This will stop you from wearing out the symbol AND it will
distribute the forces better...

Best regards,

Jan van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...