Re: water pump leak

You will have to remove everything off the top of the engine, like the
fuel mixture unit, the air intake manifold, water pump etc. The leaks
come from several sources including the hoses from the water pump, and
the "o" ring seals on the water distribution pipes. Before you do this
talk to the Delorean parts vendor you prefer to deal with and he will
tell you what is involved and recomend his water pump master kit which
contains all of the gaskets, seals, "o" rings and hoses you will need.
This is no small job and while you are in there you will want to go
over and correct everything like old vacuum hoses, loose wireing
connections, spark plugs, ignition wires, cap, rotor, etc. If high
mileage a valve adjustment with new gaskets to stop any oil leaks. By
now you should be getting the idea that this is no small job. Also be
prepared for at least one bolt to break off. It is difficult to drill
out and retap a steel bolt in an aluminum casting. The problem is that
you cannot tolerate ANY coolant leaks so it must be fixed. Once you
start looking for trouble you generally find it everywhere. You will
wind up replacing the thermostat, all coolant hoses, maybe even the
radiater. Of course there are shortcuts but if you don't do the entire
job you are tempting fate as these parts, if origional, are over 20
years old. I don't mean to scare anyone but having worked on old cars
this is usually the way things go. If you plan too optomisticaly you
get deeper than you expected quickly. BTW PJ Grady sells silicone
hoses with special clamps so they won't need to be retightened since
you can't get in there to retighten them once everyting is back
together. He will recommend replacing the water pump too.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Cameron Putsch" <putsch.1@xxxx> wrote:
> Today I noticed that when I wound out the car that vapor was
streaming from the back of it. Turns out that coolent was leaking from
behind my fuel pump on to the muffler. I am not sure where exactly it
came from as the top of the motor is a pool of coolent. I plan to
replace those two little hoses under the intake. Did any of you have
this sort of problem, what can I do to fix it? Could it be something
other than those little hoses? Just hope I remember where everything
goes. :)