Re: [DML] DMC How are the fuel injector suppose to work in this system?

Re: [DML] DMC How are the fuel injector suppose to work in this system?

Hello Louis,

having water in the gas for 10 years is probably the worst thing i can think
of to have to deal with as far as the fuel system goes. this is so stupid
because if there's water in it, all you have to do is siphon the tank, clean
it out, put fresh gas in and add that water break-up stuff, and you should be
ok. why anyone would just let the car sit is beyond me..... but anyway.
let's see if i can help....

In a message dated 10/30/01 6:09:44 PM Central Standard Time,
jugeauj@xxxx writes:
> I was lead to believe that with the airflow sensor completely closed (as in
> the case with the engine not running) no fuel should make it's way to the
> injectors. Is this true?

this is true. as far as the '2 drops per second' rule, that's what the
average injector will leak into the cylinders with the plate closed. however
this is for the average worn injector. if you have brand new injectors
(which is a MUST with rusty fuel parts!!), they should not leak at all. if
you haven't replaced them, do it now.

> Is the distributor supposed to allow raw fuel into the intake or is there a
> problem stemming from either of the following:
> 1) Central fuel plunger valve (sorry, don't know the correct name for it)
> in the fuel distributor is bad?

i think the name for it is the fuel distributer regulator pin, but it doesn't
matter. this could be a problem if you haven't had the fuel distributer
cleaned by a pro or just replaced it. you see, the pin fits into the
distributer so well that when you try to pull it out, it creates vacuum
inside the orifice. that's how well-machined the distributer is. the pin
and distributer are a matched pair at the factory - you cannot buy a new pin.
if it is chipped or corroded, you need a new distributer - $1000 new.
(gulp). it's possible that the pin has been corroded by rust and it's now
leaking your fuel to the injectors when it shouldn't be. this isn't too
tough to verify - just time consuming. if you haven't done it yet, remove
all the lines from your fuel distributer and unscrew the top three screws
which secure it to the air meter housing. CAREFULLY lift it off the housing
- the pin just rests in there and you aren't careful it will slip out and
fall down into your engine bay or something. then you're pretty much screwed
because if the pin even gets scratched or takes a tiny chip, it's probably
done for. take the dist off the housing and inspect the pin. look into all
the holes that go into the distributer and look for wear or rust. carefully
remove the primary pressure regulator and check that for wear and rust. you
may have a damaged distributer.

> 2) The 12V battery I used couldn't work the pump up to around 65psi thereby
> not charging the system with enough fuel pressure for the plunger and other
> associated components to function properly?

i would advise against doing this. you will destroy the pump if you run it
without sucking gas for even a second. the gas is the lubrication for the
pump! i have done it myself by jumping it with a battery to see if my old
one worked it not. it didn't after that! also, the sparks from the jumper
cables could blow up the pump with all the vapors in there! Bosch told me
that the fuel pump is capable of producing around 7 bar of fuel pressure, but
a lot of that gets returned to the tank. you can only test fuel pressure
with a K-Jetronic fuel pressure tester between the distributer and control
pressure regulator as described in the shop manual. your system pressure
(primary) should lie around 4.8-5.4 bar.

3) Fuel filter was significantly plugged up to restrict fuel flow thereby

this is easily diagnosed - just replace it, if you haven't already!

water in the gas for a long period of time is the worst thing that can happen
to your fuel system. you seriously must replace EVERYTHING if in doubt. if
you have found rust in your banjo fittings, your injectors, or in the main
metal fuel lines, you have to replace stuff. that includes - draining and
cleaning fuel tank, replacing fuel accumulator, fuel filter, distributer,
CPR, cold start valve, injectors, fuel pump, and probably every fitting in
there too. VERY $$$. when working on the fuel system, you better buy a
K-Jetronic fuel injection pressure tester. i recommend buying one from
Tool-Aid.com. only $89 including both primary and control pressure readings,
all the fittings needed, instructions, and a durable plastic case. sweet
deal!

good luck,
Andy

Soma576@xxxx