Re: Fuel Injection Modifications

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Scott Mueller" <scott.a.mueller@xxxx> wrote:
> Can you post some pictures to the vault?
> What was the cost of the components?
> Can you use the stock fuel pump?
> How about writing a how to article for DMCNEWS, perhaps the
Moderators can
> add a section in Tech for Modifications.

DMC-12 Bosch CIS to Multiport EFI conversion.

Bosch CIS systems are almost entirely based on 1960's era technology,
and rely on a mechanical air flow meter to monitor engine load and
regulate fuel delivery. Most people agree that these air flow meters
pose a formidable intake restriction and rob anywhere from 10% to 15%
of available engine horse power. HP is directly related to the
volumetric efficiency of the engine, and the PRV can move a bit more
air when the CIS air flow meter flap is not in the way.

I used the Racetech Simple Digital Systems (www.sdsefi.com) EM3D.
There is no need for a laptop for programming. It has a well written
easily understood technical manual and documentation, a nice
intelligent website, and a growing user community with a forum for
SDS at http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/150383 . There is plenty of
friendly and knowledgable technical expertise available from both
Ross and Barry at Racetech. Plus the SDS EM3D is attractively priced.

Since I've never driven a CIS powered Delorean, I can't say anything
about my impressions concerning potential horse power increases. Also
I've not put the car on a dyno. All tuning ( of which very little has
been required ) has been done on the street.

Here are the details about what I used, and how it was done.

The injectors I used are low impedance Bosch part number 280-150-812,
which also cross reference according to Borg Warner to 280-150-828
and 280-150-829. Borg Warner part number 57172. Chrysler part number
4467050, INP-012, J0260675, MD116218, MD132249, MD141131, MD156661,
and MD157740. They can be found in the Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth
Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 from a Dynasty 88-92, Caravan 89-91, Lebaron etc.
They are also listed as the same injectors that were used in the
Eagle Premier 3.0 Z7X-715 PRV V6 91-92. I choose the Bosch which are
characterized by a concave aluminum injector tip. The junk yards are
full of them.

The Bosch electronic injectors fit the existing 14 mm CIS injector
ports which is very nice. Tips are recessed 20 MM above the intake
tract within the 12 mm lower diameter of the injector port. The 30
degree injector spray pattern does not seem to impinge on the lower
port. Mine came from the scrap yard for $10.00 a piece and had to be
cleaned and tested.

Low impedance Injectors (2.5 ohms) can be tested with mineral
spirits, a standard fuel injection pump, filter, 43 psi regulator,
and 12 volts DC with an appropriate ballast resitor (like from a
914/4 Porsche), or when 3 or more injectors are run in series. For my
used injectors I ran and flushed them backwards first to clean the
internal filters. I tried to run no more than 30 seconds at a time
and avoided overheating the injectors. I understand Bosch injectors
can take a lot of abuse. I checked for leaks and an even spray
pattern. I've read that leaks should be no more than 2 drops per
minute. This is also a good way to find how much an injector actually
flows. Injector flow rates influence ECU programming pulse width
values, and flow rates are NOT published. So for other applications
you've got to figure out what you've got before you set up your
baseline ECU program values. The 280-150-812 Bosch injectors work
very nicely with reasonable duty cycle values in the normally
aspirated PRV 2.8. Racetech was very helpful with this.

The fuel pressure regulator is from a Nissan 280 ZX,1981 which runs
at 43 psi. Beck Arnley 158-0091 or Borg Warner 21710 . Also available
at Autozone for about $43.00. It uses 5/16 inch barb fittings and
mounts nicely to the forward right corner of the air flow meter
housing. You can run vacuum from the line that went to the old
Control Pressure regulator.

The Fuel Accumulator you can remove or keep. It doesn't matter.

I kept the Original Delorean Bosch fuel pump, delivery lines to the
engine compartment and return line plumbing.

I kept the original fuel filter and ran R9 MPI fuel line hose form
the fuel filter banjo fitting directly to the front LH brass hose
barb fitting on the new left hand fuel rail.

I removed the CIS Control Pressure Regulator, the delay valve from
the Control pressure regulator vacuum line and routed the line to the
280 ZX fuel pressure regulator.

The Cold Start Valve was removed. You can plug the end of the cold
start enrichment tube, or make a simple fitting to run the MAP sensor
from. This is a nice place to pick up the MAP because it is balanced
to all cylinders and orificed at the factory. Otherwise there is
another factory 1/8 inch NPT fitting available at the right rear
corner of the intake manifold.

I removed the Frequency Valve and optionally you can remove the
Delorean Bosch Lambda ECU.

I removed the upper half of the airflow meter housing, the fuel
distributor, gutted the upper air flow meter housing, and plugged all
the openings left after the fuel distributor, meter flap and pivot
had been removed. Then I reinstalled the gutted upper air flow meter
housing. If you're looking for an easier way to do this you can
simply remove the screw that holds the round air meter flap to the
pivot arm and leave everything else in place. Then all you've got to
do is plug the hole where the fuel distributor used to mount. This
way you don't even have to remove the meter housing.

I used a standard GM V-6 1 bar, three wire map sensor. Borg Warner #
EC1602, or the one available from Racetech. They are almost all the
same. Mounted with the orifice facing down.

The Air Temp Sensor was provided by Racetech, and is mounted in the
factory original 1/8 inch NPT plug located in the left rear corner of
the intake manifold.

The Engine Temp Sensor is also provided by Racetech. I removed the
thermostat drain plug located in the water pump thermostat housing
directly below the thermostat on the engine side of the thermostat
and drilled and tapped the plug for 1/8 inch NPT.

For the Distributor and Advance, I retained the existing vacuum
advance solenoid, micro switch on the throttle body and the entire
ignition system. The PRV is an ODD FIRE V-6, so tach signals from the
Bosch ignition ECU to the ignition coil are uneven. The Racetech SDS
ECU is driven off of this signal, which is picked up at the coil
terminal # 1. The SDS EM3D ECU is a "batch" injection system.
Injectors fire at the same time, not sequentially, and the fuel
charge hangs around in the intake manifold by the intake valve until
it's needed. Odd fire does not seem to be a problem since the
programmed RPM values I'm using for most of the RPM ranges are the
same or very flat. RPM values at the SDS ECU do seem to hunt a bit
sometimes but never more than 3 RPM ranges. If you're really
concerned about triggering the SDS ECU off of the ODD FIRE coil, then
you can opt to install a HALL effect triggering system off the crank
pulley. Mine runs very nicely off the tach signal.

I kept the original Bosch O2 Lambda Sensor. The Racetech SDS ECU can
be programmed to run in closed loop lambda mode between high and low
map values and high and low rpm values that you can set, using the
existing single wire or a newer 3 wire O2 sensor. Lambda closed loop
can adjust your baseline values by up to + - 25%. I have CL LOW RPM
LIMIT set to 1500, and CL HI RPM LIMIT set to 4500 (70% of redline).
CL MAP HI is set to -6.72. CL MAP LO is set to -15.2. Talk to Barry
or Ross at Racetech.

You should retain the Bosch Idle Speed Motor and ECU if you can.

My fuel rails are 1/8 inch NPT brass pipe. Four 4 inch nipples cut to
the correct injector port center to center distances and threaded
with a 1/8 inch NPT die, then assembled with 6 brass Tees. Four hose
barbs, one at each end of the 2 fuel rails connect to 5/16 MPI R9
fuel injection line. The line runs from the filter to the LH front
rail barb, the LH rear rail barb across the rear of the engine to the
RH rear rail barb, and then from the RH front rail barb to the fuel
pressure regulator. Rails are held in place by fabricated 3/4 inch
wide steel brackets secured to the valve cover bolts. Fuel return is
off of the right front fuel rail barb directly to the 280 ZX fuel
pressure regulator.

I was able to keep all of the existing Air Cleaner and pre-heat
system. The fuel rails are small enough to allow the original air
cleaner and intake pre heat plumbing to be retained. Air filter
housing clips closest to the engine had to be relocated to the sides
of the airfilter housing to avoid interferance with the new fuel
rail. I used safety wire through 1/8 inch vacuum line wound to the
correct length with the original clips, and then clipped them on to
the upper side edges of the air filter housing.

The Throttle Position Sensor is a 3 wire Potentiometer type. It is
driven by the existing horizontal throttle pulley by simple heater
hose and a machined aluminum fitting that mates with the tabs on the
switch. An aluminum and sheet metal bracket supports the switch. My
switch is off of a Ford 4 cyl courtesy of the scrap yard. Almost any
will work. Racetech can provide them in clockwise or counter
clockwise configurations. Delorean uses clockwise.

I mounted the SDS ECU right behind the driver seat where you'll find
the 3 existing OEM ECU's. Since I abandoned my Idle Speed Motor, I
removed the black Bosch idle speed motor ECU which sits right on top
of the metal mounting frame. The SDS ECU fits quite nicely. You can
also remove the Bosch Lambda ECU if you like, and rearrange the
remaing ECU's to make everything fit. Grounds are taken from the
metal mounting frame itself, and switched power is picked up through
a 1 amp fuse (which you must supply) to the main relay behind the
passenger seat. Hot switched power for the injector harness is taken
off of the HOT side of the ignition coil ballast resistor (white
wire,upper right spade connector).

The car passed Ohio Emissions Testing last week. I'll post some
pictures once I figure out how it's done.
Jim Witherspoon
Vin #6147