Re: DAILY DRIVER DMC

The problem is you are buying a 20+ year old car! It is very important
when you pick a car to buy it is in "good" condition. You must also
consider that you will spend more money on it to fix it up mainly
because of it's age and there are not a lot of places to take it to so
unless you are handy and have the time whenever you have a problem it
will take more time to fix then an "ordinary" car. Whenever you need a
part you will have to allow time to get it, not being able to go to
your nearby auto parts store for most of the parts you need. I also
consider the car dangerous as a daily driver. Here in New Jersey with
so many SUV's on the road all you see when you are alongside them are
the lugnuts. THEY DON'T EVEN SEE YOU! I cannot recomend a Delorean for
a young driver, it will cost more than anything else to run and
doesn't have airbags. I know I may get flamed for this heretical view
of our favorite car but that is reality. Another problem is it isn't
the greatest car to drive in the wintertime, I have been told (I have
no first-hand knowledge of this) that in the snow the car doesn't
perform well at all. Then again you don't see too many Corvettes out
in the snow either! To sum up, if consistant reliability, cost,
safety, inconvienience and winters aren't a problem go for it.
If you spend enough time and money "up front" you can overcome the
reliability issues by replacing the most likely old parts that will
fail on you. By upgrading the electrical system and rebuilding the
cooling system the car can become very reliable. But you still have
the other issues to overcome. Get some insurance quotes and make your
choices. Without knowing what State you are in I am guessing you are
not budgeting enough for insurance. At your age in New Jersey for a
daily driver it would be closer to $250 a month.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757