Re: Erratic Rev counter readout

The first thing to do when you have erratic reading gauges is to check
and clean all connections. Pay particular attention to all ground
connections. There is a major grounding point on the frame alongside
the left front wheel. Remove the wheel, remove the wires and make sure
that the connections are all clean and that the paint on the frame or
rust isn't interfering with the connections and that it is tight. You
can also remove all of the fuses one at a time and clean the contact
points and tighten up the clips that they fit into. Check that the
proper size fuse is in the correct spot, don't take it for granted as
someone could have stuck the wrong size in or just switched them by
mistake. For the tach you also should check connections around the
motor for tightness and corrosion. On older cars very often the
trouble is in the connections, not the part, but the simple act of
changing things has the effect of "fixing" the problem because as you
plug and unplug connections it cleans them.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757