Air intake/idle speed regulator

Hi List,

I have a couple of questions, and I hope one of you can help me.

I am one of the lucky owner with a freeflow exhaust modifications (done
before my ownership), with the sideeffect that the exhaust manifest stove
has been removed (see section 1.4.0, partnumber 33 of the parts reference).
I wonder what effect this would have one the engine's performance.

1) I am no expert on mechanics, but would it be better to have cold or hot
air entering the engine?

When I start the car when it hasn't been running for 8 hours or more, the
engine instantly fires at cranking, but then almost chokes itself. It then
revs up to about 2000 RPM and almost stalls again. Most of the time it just
keeps doing this for about 4 minutes and then the engine smoothes out and
runs fine, which a very good C/O rating. On very few occasions it stalls and
I have to restart it. I have some theories I want verified.

2a) Because the engine tries to balance itself it seems that the E.C.U. is
working.
2b) The fuel pump is working o.k. and the engine fires instantly, therefore
fuel is not a problem. IMO, it has something to do with the airflow.
2c) Because the car idles fine when in warmed-up condition, the idle speed
regulator should be ok.
2d) could it be the thermistor in the coolant distribution pipe (D:05:02,
fig. 38 of the workshop manual)?
2e) what would be the effect of a disconnected or malfunctioning idle speed
regulator during cold AND warm conditions of the engine?
2f) would it have something to do with question one?
2g) could some of these hoses be clogged?

There are more reasons for these questions: first, I don't want to take
apart things that are working properly and secondly, I want to learn about
the workings of the engine. Please feel free to mail me personally if you
reply is too long or inappropriate for the list.

Yours,

rob.van.der.veer@delorean-europe.[removeme].com