Solenoids vs actuators / Bob Zilla

When choosing a door opening system it is wise to do it based on the facts
not speculation.

The question has been posed ( more than once ) as to why we chose not to go
the actuator route ?

Actuators as a rule are not designed to output sufficient torque to open our
doors which require an uncommon amount to do the job. EVERY actuator we've
tested contained an EXTREMELY UNDERSIZED motor and had plastic gears.

Why are they ALL so cheaply made ?
Having contacted OEM actuator manufacturers I discovered a common thread.
They are tooled up to produce low cost mostly plastic designs. They aim their
actuators at the Automotive Industry. Most all the car companies today no
longer make their own interiors, they farm them out. There is constant
pressure to keep component cost very very low. This is why interiors today
are cold and hard instead of the warmer look and feel of years past. As the
price of cars climb, auto mfrs. squeeze their vendors for lower cost
interiors. Component costs suffer. Go figure !

Let's look at Daryl's actuator.
Yes, Daryl's unit is impressive indeed as it is one of the few that can do
the job at all. Most others are way too wimpy.
However, our goal is always longevity. Disassembling the doors for service
issues is a job I prefer to do as infrequently as possible. This is our
design goal.
I have no axe to grind with Daryl.
I am pleased he was able to locate an actuator that works.

However, again, my concern is product life span.
Although it does work, I am concerned that it is clearly running at the outer
edge of it's performance envelope. No rocket science needed here. Simply by
listening to it strain, made me uncomfortable.
Upon internal inspection you discover, of the 6 very tiny gears, 3 are
plastic. The motor is 1" long by 3/4" wide. Stop and draw a mental picture of
this. The gear on the motor shaft is plastic with a 1/4" diameter. Let me
remind you, you are opening your door with a 1/4" plastic gear. Yes, it's
lightweight all right. It's nearly weightless.

For those of us old enough to remember Audio Cassettes, I can tell you that
these small DC motors that pulled the tape around failed with regularity.
Product failure analysis was once my domain. There have been few ( if any )
advancements in mini 12V DC brush driven motors in the last 30 years.
So now, the goal is to generate enough torque with a Walkman size motor to
open our doors for many many years ?
Well, you do the math.
While Daryl is comfortable with this device, I am not. He feels that they
will stand the test of time based upon his success to this point. I truly
wish him the best. I don't share his optimism.

The case for Solenoids:
All solenoids are not created equal. Like actuators, most are not up to the
task. Make no mistake about it, to open our doors a great deal of force is
required. Just look at the Door lock Solenoids. The "Launch" solenoids we are
using are Custom Made & particularly well suited to the task Insuring
Longevity and the ability to open the door with Authority.

New or old technology ?
There's nothing new about actuators. The concept dates back to the invention
of the motor itself. Should someone ever create an actuator with all metal
gears and a motor of reasonable size, then you've got something to get
excited about. I'm not holding my breath till then as there doesn't seem to
be a real market to sell it to.
Actuators are filled with highly torqued plastic moving parts. A solenoid has
exactly 1 hefty moving metal part and unlike actuators, it's action is
instantaneous.
Thoughts on Longevity anyone ?

No Modifications.
As mentioned on a few occasions, our system does not require ANY headliner
removal to achieve independent door control. No wires are cut or spliced. No
wires are run in the headliner or through the door hinge. Everything just
plugs in with the assistance of the "Launch Controller".

The price of our system ?
Speculation has gone off the deep end.
The numbers I'm seeing in DML posts are pretty wild ! Kind'a comical in a
way.
When it is announced shortly, expect to be pleasantly surprised.
The system is due out soon. Please be patient.
Rob Grady's announcements regarding price take into account a complete system
of MANY different components including Lock / UnLock Solenoids. Remember, it
is a component system. You may own a good deal of the Zilla system already.
You may or may not need certain other problems addressed.

Do not expect hybrid systems of components from different vendors to work
properly. We will not support hybrid systems. Period.

NEW TOYS ?
When you buy a Zilla your money goes right into R&D.
As a result of your continued support you will soon see Zilla devices you
already own communicating with one another.
Expect to see Techno Toys that far exceed ANYTHING you've ever seen in ANY
car regardless of price.
This is not pie eyed speculation, it is already fact.. These toys already
exist & are presently in further development. One particular unit has been in
development for nearly 5 years and is chilling.

As soon as the work is completed on TranZilla ( the upcoming Shift Computer
for automatics ) a new era in Toy Development will unfold.....
" when we hit 88 MPH, you're gonna see some serious Sh_ _ ! "
This is where the real fun begins.
Zilla Launcher is only the very tip of the iceberg.

Thank you for making all this possible.
You won't be disappointed

Bob Zilla