Re: my attitude about DeLorean (long)

Where to begin. The old saying goes, "The truth is niether black or
white, but shades of gray." If I were to sum up the operations of the
man and the company, that is how I would put it. But still, we need
to find a place to begin... I'll be frank, JZD wasn't the picture
perfect exec, nor did he run his company idealy as he described how
things should have been run by GM in his book "On a Clear Day..." But
he sure as hell is in my opinion a more moral man than Iacoca, or Ed
Cole (Iacocca was on TV denoucing the classic Mustang. What are the
chances he would pull over to completment a Ford owner for having
such a nice car!) I'm not going to attack or justify anything, but I
will try to explain everything as best I can...

First, a little background info about Haddad is needed. JZD hired
Haddad because he claimed that he had close ties to the Kennedy
family (who is from Twinbrook), and this could benefit DMC/DMCL
because the company would be going in with political links/ties to
the area. And that could give the company some pull to get things
done. He conviced JZD he could help him/the company in the policital
realm of Northern Ireland, and was thus hired.

The "Gold Facets" memo that stated he wrote on Boxing Day (Dec. 26)
was completely false. Later durring another one of JZD's trials,
Haddad admitted on the stand under oath, that he did indeed forge the
memo. He also conviced JZD's secratary Marion Gibson that everything
in the memo was true. She ended up trying to alert the British Govt,
and I beleive that Scotland Yard found no problems at that time (it's
been a while since I've read Hard Driving, and I don't have a copy
handy. bear with me). After she found out that Haddad lied to her,
she was truly sorry for what she had done, and even appologized.
Haddad does provide us with some interesting inside with his book.
But, you must also take into consideration he is biased against JZD,
and the fact that he went so far as to forge a public record in the
process. Interesting insights, but we can't take everything he says
as being etched in stone.

DMC/DRLP had no other choice but to agressivly go after any and all
capitol they could. After all, they were starting up a new company.
Manical, no. Very creative in creating tax shelters and complex
investment plans to acquire money, yes!

As for the cars that were taken from the QAC in Jersey, I believe it
was Roy Nesseth thate was present to take control of the cars. C.R.
Brown was in California. But the loan was paid back. Of course it had
to be for DMC to sell/floor plan cars. While Haddad "claims" he has
no knowlege of what happened to the cars, they probably just went
back to the QAC to be shipped. Haddad has a writting style that
doesn't say things right out, but will plant a seed of doubt into
your thinking.

DMC had no reason to falsify anything to the EPA. The PRV6 motor had
already been tested for emissions, and was approved for use in the
US. It did need to go thru a 5K mile test for it's application in the
DMC-12 though. To pass emissions, the power of the engine was greatly
reduced. That is why we have only a 130bhp engine, and the
restrictive exhaust/emissions system on our cars.

JZD didn't pay as much attention to the car as was expected in as
engineering. He was indeed a bit more concerned about cosmetic
aspects of the car. Honestly, this makes total sense since he was
paying Lotus to complete the engineering work! And it is something
that I am very thankful for. The DMC-12 has a warm, quality,
handcrafted feel to it. The amount of pre-moulded plastic and vinyl
in most modern cars have all the craftsmanship of a $2.00 snap-tite
model.

Both suspension recalls that I am aware of were not due to lack of
concern over the car, but of GREAT concern. The front crumple tube
was thought to be to riged, and it was believed it wouldn't
crupmle/absorb engery properly in a front-end collision. They reduced
it, but then made it way to thin, and it could be damaged simply by
hitting a pothole. Thus the front-end recall was born. The training
arm bolts were recalled because the company who made them didn't make
them strong enough.

As far as Haddad's run-in's with Roy Nesseth, who knows. They sound
to me like two people who didn't get along to begin with. And Nesseth
always struck me as the type (from what I've read) who just had a
gruff demeanor about him. Not nessisarily a mean guy, just one who
seemed intimidating to most. Now that he has passed on, we'll never
get a chance to hear his side of the story...

Logan Mfg is an interesting topic, and one that has even less
answers. JZD took out a loan to buy Logan, but the angered the bank
when he paid it off too early (they lost $ by not getting any
interest payments). I was the person who originaly posted about
people seeing cars @ Logan Mfg. I have heard stories from various
people that go so far as stating that JZD had parts shipped to Logan,
UT to build cars there as well as N. Ireland. I even heard rumors
that JZD has a hidden cache of cars stashed away in an old warehouse,
but can't sell them because of his bankruptcy. This was a story told
to me by a stranger met @ Pep Boys. Honestly, I take it with a grain
of salt. I've never seen the guy since, but he knew some pretty
accurate info about JZD's trials and DMC's history. MUCH more than
the average joe off the street. But hey, who knows. If I belived
everything a stranger told me about my car, I'd have a helecoptor
engine made by Ford, and my car would be illegal to drive because
it's either too fast, or too shiny! :)

John Z. DeLorean had a dream, and he made it come true. Plus it was a
dream that was shared by others. If no one had believed in that
dream, then there would never have been a car. Besides, I don't have
the motivation to vaccum my house, but JZD was able to build a car.
Now that takes more than just motivation. It takes great courage!

Which leaves the final question: Why didn't DMC suceed?
As it's been discussed before, there is a long list of factors. JZD
didn't bring down DMC all by himself. But it is true that he had more
than enough help to colapse everything. "What if" will be the
question that many people will always ask. What if the British Govt
had given DMC export financing? What if JZD wasn't intimidated into
going into room 501? What if they bypassed GMAC and provided
customers with in-house financing? What if everyone lived happily
ever after and DMC was still around today?

Everytime you ask yourself one of these questions, don't forget to
ask yourself that one truely unspeakable question. The one that keeps
me up at night.

What if there never was a DeLorean?

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> This last week i had the opportunity to check out the book "Hard
Driving - My
> Years With John DeLorean", written by William Haddad...
<SNIP>