Erratic wipers

Got caught in the rain last night, and my wipers started acting goofy. Heard
a noise from under the left dash like a squeaking or rubbing sound and the
wipers stopped moving. Then started up again for a few wipes then quit.
Always stopped at the bottom of the wipe, I think. Squeaks came and went. I
tried all three settings: fast, slow and intermittent with the same results.
(BTW, I DO know how the intermittent wipe feature works... :) this was not
it. It would stop for a full minute or two then wipe a few times, then quit.)
I don't recall ever reading anything about this on the list, and my computer
likes to crash when I hop from link to link such as in the DML files. Any
ideas?

Wayne A. Ernst
11174