Re: Battery master switch?

If you are worried about a car fire there are many things that you can
do in addition to a battery master switch. Make absolutly sure there
are NO fuel leaks or odors anywhere in the car. Inspect and clean all
fuses, connectors, and relays. Install a Fanzilla or equivelent
because the fan fail relay or the fan bypass is dangerous. Check the
routing of all wiring so that is securely fastened and is not near
anything hot or moving. Keep a fire extinguisher in the car (not in
the trunk but where you can reach it quickly). If you have the Ducy
alternater upgrade to something better. Finally install a battery
master switch. The one I installed is on a bracket that slides under
the battery. It was picked up at a car show for about $14. It has a
removeble key. I can also use it as a security device and when I go to
car shows and leave the doors open the battery doesn't go dead. I only
had to make up a short cable to connect it to the battery. I also ran
a wire from the radio fuse to the battery directly so I keep my
presets even with the battery off (keeps the time going too). In case
of a fire especially, while you are driving, I doubt the value of a
battery master switch. I would trust in a fire extinguisher first! On
most modern cars, at least the ones with fuel injection, in the
majority of cases fires start out as fuel leaks. When you have a leak
on a car with fuel injection a tiny leak isn't always visible as the
fuel atomizes as it escapes. If it ignites now you have a tiny
blowtorch melting anything nearby and eventually setting the entire
car on fire. This is one of the reasons you are cautioned not to
reuse the little copper gaskets that are used throughout the fuel
system. On the Delorean, even though it is fuel injected, many of the
fires appear to be electrical in origion. I have personally seen a fan
fail bypass jumper melt in a member's car and if we didn't catch it,
it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine the car burning! A master switch
can't prevent this from happening and shuting off the battery isn't
going to save the car once it starts burning. Preventive maintainence
is the only sure way to prevent car fires.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757