Re: finding freon leaks

If you are as unlucky as me the discharge hose from the compressor to
the condensor has popped. There are tiny holes all along the hose and
the freon will come out all along it's length. Use nitrogen and soapy
water and you will find the leak. The hose can be replaced without
removing the body from the frame but you will have to bend the frame
flange a little bit to pass the end through. Also replace the service
(shrader) valve cores, and evacuate the system for at least 1/2 hour.
If it has been "down" a long time you should replace the dryer too. It
is best to stay with R-12 if possible. I have used sniffers and I find
they get desensitized by large leaks, I prefer to see the leak with my
own eyes. Sniffers are of no use if the motor or fans are running as
the air is moving too fast. Another alternative is to add a leak
detector dye.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757