Re: Cadillac alternator

I just did this 2 weeks ago. Works great.

I bought the alternator at NAPA ($150) because they have the
superior Beck-Arnley remans instead of the cheapie Schucks ones.
It was $50 more but I'd rather not run into trouble for relatively
little money. They took my Motorola as a core with no questions.

To get it to work you have to get that J bracket. The only place I
found one was at a larger Schucks store. I had to modify it
slightly by drilling another hole lower down and sawing off the
extra length. I also got the wiring harness adapter (also required)
from Schucks too. Email me privately for part numbers.

Also check this instructions page which helped me a lot to
understand and confirm the wiring config:
http://www.dmcman.homestead.com/Alternator.html
Note I did not need to do the pivot alternator bracket modification
listed here.

100A works just fine in my car. My volt readings are roughly as
follows:

850 RPM, 13v - all accessories off
850 RPM, 11.5v - headlights, cooling fans, blower on high, rear
defrost on (I have no a/c)
1000+ RPM, 13.5v+ - no matter what is running

Checking voltage under load is key.

Please note that these readings are me just looking at the gauge. I
was worried that this cheaper alternator (compared to the other ones
mentioned on the DML or a BOSCH volvo replacement) was inferior
because of the low output at low rpms. However, another PNDC club
member and I were comparing volt gauge readings since he has a BOSCH
105A reman alternator ($250+ unit)and we get about the same
readings. The only nice thing about his is you can use the stock
bracket and it's smaller in overall size. Be forewarned, the
Cadillac one is HUGE, but does fit.

Note as part of this I cleaned the major rear grounds but have not
cleaned the major front grounds. That made a huge, huge difference
(I checked the gauge readings before and after). The next chance I
get I will clean the front ones and possibly do the mod to add an
additional heavy duty ground wire from the front grounds to the rear
negative terminal / ground to really ensure good front ground. The
volt gauge really dips on the headlights and fans which suggests to
me that the ground up there is not as good in my car right now.
I've read about this in several other posts here.

Shiraz

DeLorean #2860
http://members.home.net/shirazcupala/delorean/
Seattle, WA
shirazcupala@xxxx

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, tgoodwin@xxxx wrote:
> I was hunting on the web and found this site:
>
> http://personal.picusnet.com/dsontos/7157.htm
>
> He talks about replacing the Ducellier with a 1980 Cadillac 100
Amp.