Re: storage AND INSURANCE!

I think you hit on a very important point! Most people never even
consider the insurance point of view on a stored car. In most cases it
is not covered under the usual homeowner's policy. In some states if
you discontinue liability insurance you must surrender the license
plates. It is very important that you contact your broker or agent for
guidance as the rules vary from state to state. If you have classic or
special policy insurance they can advise on how to maintain
"collision" insurance during storage. You won't be too happy if the
spring on the garage door decides to let go and takes out your hood
and windshield or the ladder you hang over the car falls on it! Most
damage during storage occurs from things bumping into the car or
falling on it. In some cases I have seen owners put thick blankets
over the car with pieces of plywood on top and then a cover over it
all. Keep sunlight off of the tires and no spark producing motors
nearby (the sparking creates ozone which speeds up the aging of rubber
and plastic). I have also seen owners park the car on a tarp to keep
any moisture from comming up through the floor into the car. This is
why a car caccoon makes some sense especially for long term storage.
You are the best judge of the storage conditions and what you have to
prepare for, just remember the more you do to prepare the car for
storage (even short-term) the easier and better condition it will be
in when (and if) you take it out of storage.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757