RE: Re: GM Engine/modifying your Delorean

12
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:22:15 -0400
From: "Marc A. Levy" <malevy@xxxx>
Subject: RE: Re: GM Engine/modifying your Delorean

>On the other hand, if this was a $6000 conversion Richard would
>quickly
>have a few hundred DeLoreans outside his shop waiting for Notrhstar
>engines.. :)

I may be wrong on this (because of the age of our Deloreans) would
not the "Feds" bust them for Emissions tampering/modifying from
stock,Remember back in the 70's there was a Company called Motion
Performance on Long Island NY
that used to get stock HiPo Camaro,Vettes and Vegas,and Turn them
into 11 second Street cars,after a while the Federal Government(EPA)
caught up with them and fined them something in the neighborhood of
$25,000 per car,(in 1970's dollars) and they made at least a few
hundred,and were Shut down/ told NEVER to make/modify such cars
again,the company that is putting the Nortstar engine in the
Deloreans is basically doing what Motion performance was doing in the
Seventies.Technically NO BUSINESS/or individual may modify a EPA
certified vehicle from factory EPA certified Specifications,THAT also
INCLUDES modifying a ORIGINAL factory engine
(Turbo's,cams,pistons,heads ect),EPA,most likely will not bust a
individual,unless,they go into business modifying cars,that would be
taken care of at the local level(DMV) Correct me if I am wrong.

Claude
000570