Re: [DML] Voltage Drop and Clicking Sound

Re: [DML] Voltage Drop and Clicking Sound

Bobby and Group, You say the bulb fixed the problem with the volt meter and
then you say your having the same symptoms again. Did the bulb go out again
and if so then your probably falling victim to the regulator problem that
will be plaguing the older application cars that don't have a computer.
Alternator builders who were and are using GM regulators. Everybody beware,
GM changed the regulators a month or two ago and where the Delorean only uses
the light wire for exciter, GM regulators would work fine but they knew they
were being used in a non GM application. Now the GM regulators won't work.
Our cars are getting older and the GM regulators now have to have the sense
wire hooked up also, if not the regulator will self destruct.
Not to worry, I now have a new Light wire regulator only and it's working
fine. I also have a new external mounted regulator that will run cooler and
is adjustable. We can now overcome the low voltage needle on the volt meter
on the dash also. If you have and are running fine with the alternator you
have, and it was built recently like mine were, they more than likely have
the older technology GM regulator and will work fine till they just die of
old age. Then we will install the new light wire only regulators. Maybe GM
will get enough complaints to come back with it.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/alternators.shtml