Re: Idle Control (OOPS!)

It has been pointed out to me that I unfortunately got a little
sloppy in the way I wrote this posting resulting in an inaccuracy in
the description of the mixture surging. When the engine is stone
cold, the lamda ECU runs the car in a fixed mixture mode and does not
use the input from the lambda sensor to regulate the mixture (via the
signal to the frequency valve). The period where the car runs in this
fixed mixture mode is for the first minute or two after which the
exhaust gasses should have warmed up the lambda sensor. For the
remaining period of the engine warmup (once the fixed-mixture phase
is over) the lambda ECU handles the regulation of the mixture and it
is this phase that the oscillating mixture likely has an impact on
idle quality.

I apologize for my sloppiness in not clarifying that the mixture
oscillation I described only applies during engine warmup after the
very initial stone-cold period (a couple minutes) is over.

Knut