Re: Small oil leak...

Assuming it is engine oil then the most common sources are
1) sending unit on left side of engine.
2) bad copper seal on engine drain plug.
3) leaky crankshaft seal at flywheel.
4) bad valve cover gaskets.
Since you think it leaks when it isn't running the only one it can be
is the drain plug. Do you have to add engine oil? Have you checked the
transmission? (I assume it is a 5-speed). What I would do is either
get the motor steam cleaned or gunk it yourself and watch where the
oil first starts to appear. Wherever it is sometimes you must follow
it up and foward as a leak will run down and back so it looks like it
is in one spot but it really is starting someplace else. Nothing can
replace getting under the car and putting an eyeball on the problem.
While you are under there inspect the undercarriage, suspension,
steering, exhaust, c-v boots, trailing arm bolts, brakes, tires, etc.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, RJRavalli@xxxx wrote:
> Okay, I've been dreading asking about this, fearing the response I
might get, but I figure I better do so sooner than later. I have been
noticing a small oil leak that apparently occurs all the time, whether
or not the car has been running. It is not a whole lot so it has not
been scaring me, but I figure I better find out what is going on. It
seems to run in a straight "north-south" line right down the middle of
the engine.

> So how bad is my problem here? The engine does have 140k miles on
it, but I hope it's not ready to be scrapped. Any ideas?