Re: [DML] AC compressor oddity

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
> Sacha, The AC pully or drive belt doesn't get lubricated. It's a dry
> system. Just like brake shoes, if i'm understanding you right.
> What your resonating sound is, your feeling the Fans coming on, and
> since they are not mounted in rubber, the vibration comes thru the
> body of the car.
> Make sure the blades are on tight after you turn off the power and
> dis connect the battery.

No, with fans on or of the sound is there. I had recently unplugged my
FanZilla (disabling all fan operation) and the resonating still
sounds. At first I thought it was the fuel pump, but later I found out
that when I turn off the AC the resonating is gone. A local club
member pointed out that lines could be clogged to/from the condenser.
Or that the pressure could make the whole AC system resonating. So far
this seems like the most plausible explanation.

> As far as the slow down, if the compressor isn't defective, there
> will be a little slow down when the compressor kicks in and normally
> the car will compensate for it shortly.

Well, that slow-down together with the sound makes it seem as if there
is something causing major friction. However, all parts in the engine
compartment seem to operate without much friction. And the compressor
works, since it provides cold air.

> Do you hear any bearing noise when the comperssor
> is on.

Yes. The bearing sound is there when the AC compressor is on. But when
inspecting the engine compartment I can't hear any noise there. It
really seems to come from the front of the car.

Sacha