Re: [DML] Car Shows

Jason,
I have had my D at so many car shows that I have lost count. I too
have had the problem of people helping themselves to the driver's seat
without asking, and I too resist being "stuck up" by putting anything in the
way of someone getting in. I see no pattern of disrespect when it comes to
shows vs festivals. Anywhere you go there will be someone who will do
whatever they please to your car without asking. I have made the habit of
just closing the doors if I am away from it and just keeping a close eye on
the car when I am near it with the doors up. If someone asks nicely (which
is most of the time) and I show them correctly how to get in and out of the
car without damaging anything, then I don't have a problem with someone
sitting in my car. Hopefully another list member will inform all of us to a
nice alternative.
As far as the VIN is concerned you just hit on one of my favorite
areas of research for the DeLorean. The 1981 model year spans from VIN
500-7199. It is quite possible that some numbers were skipped. The 1982
model year began at VIN 10001, which explains the large gap between the
numbers you noticed, even though it was only a 2 month difference. I
encourage you to read up on the VIN chronology and production numbers
information that is on the DMCNews website. As far as Canadian models are
concerned there were a few cars produced in the 17000 range. I believe the
theory on the numbers skipping was due to the fact that the plant would start
and stop production of the cars and during the "dead" periods of no
production, VINs were skipped. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I
am a little rusty on my VIN history right now ;-)

Regards,
Darren Decker
VIN 05000
NC lic: 1981 DMC