Re: [DML] SS Fascias and headlights

There is no way that the bumpers were designed for a 30 MPH 'bump' test.
Maybe a 30 MPH-have your car towed to the dump test. When the back of
1537 was hit, it broke one of the reflectors in the turn signal, and bent
out the rear fascia a bit making a fold. Damage was sustained to the
rear quarter panel from the fascia. Point: if you get hit, it'll
probably cause damage. One might make the argument that the stainless
steel fascia will protect the quarter panels MORE. If the bolts are
welded to the stainless fascia, the fascia will be less likely to move
than on my car, where those stupid little bolts built into the plastic
popped out (like a dollar watch), letting the fascia hit the quarter
panel.

If you're afraid of damaging your car, leave it in your garage and let it
collect more dust.

Most newer cars have plastic bumpers- most older cars have the
steel/chrome bumpers... I had the privilege of seeing a mid-80's buick
obliterate a late-90s toyota corolla; The corolla was crumpled half way
up the hood, and the buick sustained slight damage to a quarter panel-
the chrome bumper didn't look like it was hit at all!

1537

On Fri, 03 Aug 2001 01:06:56 -0000 srubano@xxxx writes:
> It's great that people are coming up with alternatives/updates for
> our D's but I question the necessity to have SS fascia made? You
> will
> have no impact absorption at all and the littlest fender bender will
>
> create more damage to the car than with the original flexible
> plastic
> ones such as possible damage to the rear quarter panels and/or the
> front fenders (and since the driver side fender is so rare and
> expensive I wouldn't take that chance). The originals were designed
> to absorb up to I believe a 30 MPH "bump" test. I doubt that the SS
> ones will be able to withstand any MPH bump test without damaging
> the
> quarter panels/fenders. It'll be the equivalent of driving a
> Pinto...hoping you never get rear-ended (or hit from the front). If
> you look at other car models made they all have a plastic front and
> rear or (the old cars at least) some have some type of shock
> absorber
> built into the bumpers.
> Steve

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!