Torsion bar adjustment

Yes, I did it, but I don't think I did it enough. Here's how I did it should
others be so brave: First I tested the door with a strut I knew that was
good (it was on the passenger side). Once I had access to the bracket, I put
a 2x6, a 2x4 and a standard size brick (for friction) across the back just
below the window. Using a ratchet, 6" extension bar, and a 3/8" hex socket I
attached it to the end of the torsion bar and placed the ratchet on the
brick so when the bolts were removed, the bar wouldn't pop. With struts off
and my my assistant holding the door open, I unbolted the bracket. There was
a bit of a twist once it came off, but nothing popped. The rough serface of
the brick kpt everything from shifting. I pulled the bracket towards me onto
the socket and turned it one notch (I had my original position marked with a
Sharpie). I put the bracket back and with a little struggling, I was able to
get the bracket lined back up and get the bolts back in. Voila! No broken
window!

The door is certainly better than it was. Before I had to lift it myself.
Now, when I throw the handle, it risesalmost all the way but needs a little
help getting those last few inches. Would this be considered acceptable or
should I go one more notch? My only concern would be over-stressing the bar
and shortening its life span.

PS. I'm going to investiage the fan problem tonite. Thanks for all the tips!