brake lights not coming on

Hi guys,

Just when I thought everything was going great, a guy flagged me down and
told me that my brake lights were out. I've got new zilla boards, new
bulbs, and I've just checked the #12 and #4 fuses. Everything seems to be
in order.

How are the brake lights triggered? I've got other issues with my brakes
right now that may or may not contribute. My brakes feel soft and squeal
quite loudly. I was planning on getting the rotors turned this weekend, as
the new pads and shims didn't seem to fix the problem (did that work a
month or two ago). I know that the brake lights have been working as
recently as a couple days ago (backing out of the garage at night, I can
see the brake lights on the neighbour's house). I haven't done any work on
the car since then.

Any ideas?

-Christian