Spares II

Thanks to all, on and off the list. Some very good tips, some just
having fun. I like the fun tips just as well as the serious (sometimes
more).

Here's my rationale: I always carry a spare tire (I check it for
pressure), and tools to change it, I've also checked the lug nuts in
advance and hand torqued so that I'm sure I can get the wheel off should
that need arise. Fire extinguisher (used one once on my own car and
twice on others who didn't carry), jumper cables have come in handy many
times (for me and for helping others), two flashlights because I hate to
have one that doesn't work or I have to bang on it to have it come on.
WD-40, duct tape, electrical tape, a couple of small jumper wires, plus
some spare screws and of course, tools. The D fuel pump is easy to
change and does go out. I've had more than one fuel pump go out (not on
the D, it went out before I got it), I can change it if I have it so I
always carry. Likewise the alternator, they do go out, I can change it
if I have it. When the alternator or alternator belt quits you have a
major problem. I don't carry AAA card and when I go out I expect to
make it back, but I'm on my own. I try to prepare for the
eventualities. I'm out in the boonies and usually between towns when
something goes out. I feel the two D belts should be a must, for the
small amount involved, then wherever you are, you can get the nearest
mechanic to get you back on the road if you can't do it yourself. The
idea of waiting someplace for what should be a common part, does not
appeal to me.