Re: [DML] Cold start valve question (it works)

Re: [DML] Cold start valve question (it works)

If I am reading this right, you say that your car has an easier time
starting up when hot with the CSV disconnected, than it normally does
when plugged in. If that is correct, then you may have either a
defective thermotime switch, or a jumper may have been inserted into
the Hot Start Relay socket forcing the CSV to fire whenever the
engine is cranked.

If the fuel system is storing pressure properly, then the engine will
start instantly because the correct amount of fuel is already there.
The fuel pump doesn't have to charge the system, it can instantly
open the injectors. Now if the CSV is fired when the engine is
running/starting ok, the engine will flood due to the excess fuel.

As an example, I myself do have a hot start problem. So I had a
jumper wire inserted into the hot start relay to fire the CSV
whenever the engine is cranked. The problem was the heat here, since
the engine wouldn't cool quickly enough due to the ambient air temp.
If I left my car for only a few minutes, it would have a hard time
starting. The pressure was still high enough in the system to fire
the injectors quickly, but the CSV would open up and flood the
engine. The fix I used would not apply in your situation, so I'll
leave it for another post. But I wanted to give an example of how the
engine can flood.

By using ether to start you engine in this situation, you haven't
been achiving a spark. More than likely, your engine has
been "dieseling" to start up. In other words, the cylinders were so
full of the volitile ether, that the compression alone was what
caused the either to ignite. It was NOT the electrical spark. As the
engine was dieseling on it's own, running on ether, the CSV was shut
off. This stopped the excess fuel, the mixture slowly went to normal,
and the gas was finally ignited by the spark while the ether was
burned off. This is bad. Flooding and engine while cranking and not
letting the fuel burn off can wash out your cylinders. The gas/petrol
can physicly wash away the protective oil layer causing the pistons
to damage the cylinder walls. Another part is a huge fire hazard.
Unburned gasoline will be pumped into the exhaust. This can cause the
catalytic converter to overheat. This isn't good for the car, and any
road debris/leaves/etc... that touch the cat in this state can
ignite. I've seen it happen on my own car once.

Getting back to things, try the following: Check you relay
compartment, and verify that no jumper wires have been inserted into
the HSR. This is a white socker located at the top of the
compartment. Sometimes under the harness. Leave the CSV plugged in,
but disconnect the thermotime switch that is located in the side of
the water pump. The car should start instantly when hot. Another
thing to do is to test the switch with an ohmmeter while the engine
is hot (and off of course). Try that and see what you come up with.

-Robert
vin 6585