my tach is weird

SCORE!! Well I am now the proud owner of vin 010259 dec of '81 which is the same year as me! Anyway I am curious about my tach, it moves at what seems 25% of as much as it should, so when I rev it to around 4500 the thing bearly shows 2500 and it is almost always stuck at 1500 and only moves up a little when the car is wound out a bit through gears (over 3800 aprox.). Anyway I hope someone out there has a clue why it is doing this and I would appreciate what help I may get, but other than the tach the car is very nice with 27k on the odometer, the 5spd and a grey int.

Casey Vin#010259