Re: [DML] Automatic interior light

--- In dmcnews "Walter" wrote:
> > Well, My lights go right out when I close the door.
> > What does that mean?
>
> It means you had your door open for longer than 12 seconds.
> Try opening your door and then closing it again immediately.
> The light should stay on for a few seconds.

I was so fed up with this stupid delay that I installed an aftermarket
one in my car... The first one I had in there was purely analog,
causing it to operate the exact opposite of original: if I had the
doors open for a couple of seconds (rainy day) it would only delay for
about 5 secs, had they been open for more that 16 secs I would get a
full 23 second delay, with a fade at the end. Since it was analog it
also faded faster with both interior lights on...

The second one I bought was a digital setup, I could set the delay
anywhere between 5 and 70 seconds using a screwdriver to set a
potentiometer... Since it was digital I had trouble with my
alarm-setup; it would cause false triggers because of the internal
transistors not fully blocking current...

I plan on installing a relay, controlled by the delay now, to let the
lights shut off and not interfere with my alarm...

All these modifications can be done to the car without cutting any
wires; I did my first two with spade connectors in the socket for the
original delay. You can see a pic of this on
<http://www.vdwouw.demon.nl/relays.jpg>
You can also see a part of the other modifications I have made.

When I have my relay-idea worked out I'll post some other pictures...
Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000